Tutorial was developed at Tesoro High School as an opportunity for students to acquire extra curricular help, seek out teachers on a one-on-one basis, and to work cooperatively with other students.
Tutorial is a required part of the instructional program where attendance is taken daily and is required. Although teachers have developed their own specific classroom rules for tutorial, the following are school-wide guidelines for the Tutorial period:
- Every student must be in a tutorial room by the beginning bell. Anyone caught outside, for any reason, will be swept to CSI, and assigned Afternoon School.
- No hall passes are allowed for any reason. In an emergency, teachers must call an administrator or campus supervisor to escort the student to the desired location.
- Students must go to one of the classes on their current class schedule. If pre-arranged, a student may attend the tutorial of another teacher.
- To ensure a spot in the class of a student’s choice, he/she must sign up in advance with the teacher of his/her choice. Once signed in, the student is given priority for attendance in that classroom for that day.
- Students have the option of staying in their current class if they feel they will be tardy by going to another class for tutorial.
- Teachers are encouraged to allow no more than 30 students in their classroom and to lock their doors when the bell rings or 30 students are present who have priority to stay in the classroom. Teachers may elect to allow more than 30 but should not allow more than 35.
- Students are expected to use the tutorial time productively. If a student does not, the teacher may send the student to CSI, where he/she will receive an Afternoon School.
- All students must sign in on the Tutorial roster once they are in the classroom.
Teachers will use the following priority criteria when allowing students to attend Tutorial in their classrooms:
- Students who have the class on their schedule and have previously signed up for that day.
- Students who have the class on their schedule regardless if they signed up.
- A student who has previously had the teacher, and received prior approval from the teacher to attend.